October 12, 2014
Dream. Risk. Create
Every human being is a work of art and an artist at work. If we understood this our world would never be the same again.
- Set out a stack of magazines, scissors, a glue stick, markers, and paper for your group. Have everyone select and cut out, or draw, images that represent the 5-6 most defining moments in their lives. Go around and share.
- Identify something beautiful that’s already in your space (it might be a photo, a rug, a plate) and look at it for 5 minutes. Share about this experience.
Read Hebrews 11v1-6 Our imagination is what separates us from other species.
- What are some examples of things you can’t see but you believe in anyways?
- What is the connection between faith and imagination?
- Has your inability to imagine the future ever prevented you from doing something?
Read Acts 2v17-18 - Your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.
- What big dreams do you have for your life that are yet unseen?
- For your city?
- For your family or profession?
1 John 4v18 Perfect love casts out all fear.
- When/where do you feel the most pressure to conform?
- Give some examples when love (of God or from others) freed you to take risks you normally might not have taken.
Read Ezekiel 36v26-27 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you
- Have you ever experienced a major paradigm shift in your life? What was it?
- How has knowing God changed you?
- How has he turned parts of your heart, thinking or attitudes from “stone” into “flesh?
“Creativity is born of risk and refined by failure.” - Erwin McManus
- What great failures have you experienced that, in the end, helped you become a better, more creative person?
“Art in its purest form is an extension of the soul.” - Erwin McManus
- Set aside 15 minutes a day to reconnect with God this week. One way to do this is to read through the Psalms.
- Spend time with people who inspire you instead of those who crush your spirit. Whose mind might be able to help yours expand this week?
“Fear is the shadow of creativity. When we choose to create, we bring light to our fears.” - Erwin McManus
- Whatever fear you sense is stopping you from advancing toward your dream/goal, choose to destroy it by acting in that direction. Come up with a plan of how you will do that this week, on a daily basis if possible. Ask for input from others or brainstorm with God.
Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen. - St Francis
NORTH MISSIONAL COMMUNITY
Jessica Nelson #(515) 249-2134 or Nate Evans #(620) 583-2096 mail: <email@example.com> or <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Serving free meals to the kids of the community at Freedom for Youth!
October 30 - 5pm / 50 students
2301 Hickman Road, Des Moines.
WEST MISSIONAL COMMUNITY
Cindy Pierce #(515) 975-2103 mail: <email@example.com>
October 19 - 12pm 118 SE 4th Street, Suite #120 Des Moines, Iowa
DOWNTOWN MISSIONAL COMMUNITY
Erika Wheeler #(515) 577-9563 or Caleb Wheeler #(515) 681-1906 Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org> or <email@example.com>
Edmunds Elementary School Activity Night
October 28 - 5pm (K-1)
ALL CHURCH OUTREACH EVENTS
Contact: Jessica Stewart #(515) 770-2814 Email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Central Campus Conference Dinner
October 16th and 21st, 2014 @ 2:30 PM
Be The Change Action Day
October 18th, 2014 from 9-12 PM, lunch provided